長門有希 Yuki Nagato "The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya" version

A week before the Hawaiian Vacation, I had bought the latest American Haruhi light novel, The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya. I figured that it was gonna be a good beach read. When we got to the 808 state, the first few days I didn't even pick it up. Then at Ko Olina, bored silly with the fake Hawaii, I started to read it. In the trade winds it took a while to get into the story. Honestly, the first couple of Nagaru Tanigawa's light novels were not that great. The first one, The Melancholy..., is fine but The Sigh... kind of stunk and The Boredom... was 2/4 a good read. I wasn't looking forward to read this episode. I'm really waiting for the movie.

Yet, in the trade winds, on the beach, I couldn't put the book down. I had finally found out why this series rocked.

It is all about the Nagato! Yuki plays a big important role in this book. And more Yuki the better.

It starts off the week before Christmas, and the SOS Brigade is gonna throw a nabe stew Christmas party. Its what Haruhi wants. The gang just goes along. Then, the world becomes a different place. Kyon meets the deadly Asakura again. Haruhi is no longer a student at North High. There is no SOS Brigade. And Yuki is human. Yuki Nagato is the only member of the Literature club, 100% human and shy, cute as all get out. She even asks Kyon to join. Who could not? But all is wrong and Kyon must find his way back to his reality.

So I blazed through this book in another day. Spent a sunny afternoon with it and hunkered down in an evening reading. Did this all in paradise. But I didn't mind as this is the best book of the series so far.

Read it. You'll love Nagato as well.

Now, I'm just waiting for the movie, and to see the human Nagato on screen.

Labels: , , ,