5 Centimeters Per Second is a short film anime about love and separation. The characters grow close, but slowly drift apart. They love, but can't make a lasting relationship. They are.

This so captures many of the feelings I have in my dreams. That, when I was young, I had fallen for a girl. That we had some sort of relationship that was. That as I never told her my feelings, they and her drifted away over time. Then we grew up and became older, mature, adults. And these dreams and feelings of love could not be expressed again because of their childish nature. Then I wake up wondering where she is, what she's doing, and wish to go back to those younger days. Yet, all that is left is the present and the future coming with no hope of re-establishing those days. And I feel sad.

The anime is divided into three stories following the character, Takaki Tono, as he ages. It shows the first blossoming of love and its end as it just started. Then it moves a few years to show him inspiring a surfer gal to love him, but not express that love. Finally, he is a programmer in Tokyo who may have seen the love of his life pass by. Regrets they have, but life is meant to be lived and only if.

5 of 5 stars.

Labels: , ,