With Memorial Day coming and going last week, we have entered the prime summer movie season. This is what I've been training for. And it doesn't seem to be a very good one.

My ratings so far, if you're keeping score go like:
Mission Impossible 3: 2 stars
An American Haunting: 1 star
Brick: 3 stars
Poseidon: 2 stars
The Da Vinci Code: 2 stars

As you can see, my impression of this season is rather low. The highest rated was Brick and even then, I gave it a favorable rating because of its indie status. So let's see what else I have to review.

On Memorial Day, I ponied up the cash to help X-Men III: The Last Stand make incredible box office numbers. That's the best I can say about it. They cameoed many characters from the X-Men comics: Psylock?!, Jubilee?!, Omega Red. They were listed in the credits, but I didn't catch them on screen. Too many mutants shown in too short a time.

That wouldn't have been the only problem, if not for the lame story. Why did they have the Phoenix saga plotline when it was nothing like the Phoenix saga? She comes back, but is not a priordial force, just some scizophrenic part of Jean Grey. Trapped in a psychic cocoon. Please.

Sir Ian McKellan again breathes life to another limp movie as Magneto. Except the lameness of this story crushed his energy and we were left with a demagnetized Magneto.

This one stinks.

2 of 5 stars.

Tonight, I caught The Breakup. Do not read any farther if you don't want the movie SPOILED.



It was supposedly a romantic comedy, or at least that was the impression the commercials gave off. "Come see Jennifer Anniston and Vince Vaughn fall in love. On screen. (and off)" Yet, I did not laugh in the first 25 minutes. And romance is the last thing you think of after leaving the theatre. I was prepared to give it another 2 star rating, except the ending made me bump it up. You know I am a sucker for the boy not getting the girl endings. Bittersweet. I love it. They didn't get back together. They meet cute on the street a few months down the road and we are left with filling in the blanks of the future. I vote for not getting back together. I like it like that. So the ending surprised me and had me feeling better about the movie. It saved the day. Of course, I should've seen it coming.

Anyway, I didn't laugh. I didn't feel mushy. Yet, I liked the movie.

3 of 5 stars.

The Breakup was another movie (The Family Stone, Failure to Launch) that sounded weird. I think they hardly added any ambient noise to the soundtrack.

Labels: ,