Ok, I'm a sucker. Let me admit that I expected to find some kind of mirror image of my life in School for Scoundrels. Yet, if my life was that unfunny, I would want to die.

This movie is a supposed comedy. It clocks in at a bit over the 100 minutes, but it felt like an eternity. When choosing a movie to watch this weekend, I complained that The Guardian had a long running time just about 2.25 hours. Yet, School for Scoundrels felt very long. I was surprised to see that it played short as it felt like I was in the theatre for a while. Time slows down when watching something this unfunny.

Anyway the plot goes like this: loser guy pines for the cute neighbor, tries to woo her using tactic learned from the School for Scoundrels, becomes rivals with his teacher for the neighbor's affections, and must destroy him before he is destroyed. Apart from going to a school and the rivalry aspect, I am that loser guy. Even more so since I don't know if I have a cute neighbor to try and woo.

The movie combines some story elements from Fight Club -- secret, guy's only club and Something About Mary -- chasing the girl of your dreams against other suitors. It doesn't do a good job of combining the two. I was disappointed.

The cast was sucky. John Heder should not be the lead. I felt he did this movie soon after hitting it big with his Napoleon Dynamite role, and he decided to play it like that. "Sheesh!" The lion as king of his domain was a significant metaphor, but for that dude he should've been a liger! Billy Bob Thorton is the usual grouchy Billy Bob. I don't know why he bothers. They had another movie he will be in later this yerr in the previews and I felt that that's all he knows how to play. The cute neighbor (Jacinda Barrett) fell in love with the guy in the end which was so unbelievable that I expected a unicorn to come prancing through the theatre within minutes of the ending. Barrett had a non-descript role, but her character is the type of girl I can dig. Bookish and cute, but her role was insignificant. She played it adequately.

In the end, this movie was not very funny. It was boring at times. I was amazed at how much the supporting cast was wasted. Actors and comedians such as Luiz Guzman, Todd Louiso, Sarah Silverman and David Cross were wasted. They're all fine comedic talents, but they had nothing here to make us laugh. With a supporting cast like that?! What happened?

I did laugh at some points, but overall this film is dull and not funny.

1 of 5 stars.

Labels: , ,