This sunday I participated in a ride furnished by Atlantic Cycling in Easton, MD. They guaranteed 60 flat miles of cycling. They delivered. And how!

The trusty steed

Now if you asked me what type of road courses I like to ride, I would've unequivocally said, "flat." Not for me anymore. Flat courses are crazy boring. I hate riding on my indoor stationary trainer for more than five minutes. Imagine that but for four hours. In the hot sun. On a humid day. Fun but it'll tax your mental toughness.

I had my bags packed the night before. All I did was wake up and shower as usual for a ride. Then I ate a breakfast of oatmeal and yogurt. I don't know if that's the correct fuel for the day, but oatmeal I can stomach. I then put everything in my car and drove the hour and a half to Easton stopping only at McD for coffee and a nature break.

It was already humid there. The skies were threatening to rain, but it didn't, and the clouds provided welcome umbrage from the blazing sun.

I pedaled off around 8:30 following a group of 20 riders. We coast through Easton blocking traffic until reaching the open roads. The asphalt is nice in this part of the state plus they have dedicated bike lanes.

The group splits up some charging off at about 20 mph and some hanging back at around 14 mph. I lit out on my own at around 17 mph. Can I maintain that pace? No really, but it's worth a try on such flat roads. The only hill comes on a bridge over a creek. I'm happy to see it and crank up it almost blazing over a slower couple. I pass them on the downhill side going 23 mph!! That's as fast as I get all day spending the rest of it between 18 mph and 13 mph.

We cross through St. Micheals. I want to stop for some ice cream and look at the antiques.

The first rest stop comes 17 miles in at a Claibourne Landing, a place to put your boats into the bay. I grab water and some Gatorade. Around mile 14 my left calf twitches with the first pangs of cramping. Perhaps the two weeks off the bike before this ride wasn't such a good idea. I coasted in all worried about cramping, so I drank tons of Gatorade and ate bananas and oranges for their potassium.

I leave the rest area and head towards Tilghmann 10 miles down the road. Being smug I pass some dudes and tried cruising for a decent 18 mph clip. A mile down the road, these dudes pass me after sitting on my tail and realizing I don't go so fast. They cruise away at perhaps 21 mph and are gone quickly. Another group goes by me. Man does everyone ride at 20+ mph? I suck!

Around this time some other groups of cyclists pass me by on the other side of the road. They must be doing their weekly ride or something. Sadly, no. There's a U-turn awaiting us before we cross Tilghmann island. It's another 10 miles back to the rest stop where I load up again on water and Gatorade. Again, before coming in my calf feels all crampy. I tried to stretch it out, but doing so made my right thigh get that cramping feeling. Uh-oh.

There is no final rest stop just the parking lot at the end of the ride. It's twenty some miles in hot, humid, sunny weather. Will I have enough to drink and to keep this cramp from happening? This leg makes me feel the hell that my brother felt on the last ride in Thurmont. I was wishing for the end. It wasn't that my legs felt dead like they did during the Civil War Century last year, but that the heat and the tedium of pedaling was getting to me. I have spent more time in the saddle this year, so I have the legs to make it. The cramping part and worrying about it affected my riding. I didn't feel saddle sore either. That mileage this year has prepared me. Hopefully it would for longer rides.

Skipjacks and cyclists

The best part was the ferry crossing. We got to rest while waiting. The somewhat sea breeze also was refreshing. But still no water. That was had from a general store in Oxford. I get some Gatorade and begin the trek home. Again, I marvel at how smooth the road is. If I could I would've been going fast. This part I go about 13 mph. Slow, but still faster than some others. I leave them behind and it's just me plodding along. I stop for a breather, but push on.

Nearing Easton, I clean myself up to look presentable. I zip my jersey up. My pace quickens. I am traveling around 16 mph when I make it back to the parking lot. Someone asks me, "How was it?" "Brutal," because of the heat. I cool down while changing. I feel alright, but tired. Not enough sleep and being in the sun exercising will do that.

On my way home, I get stuck in the traffic heading back home from Ocean City. That's an unfortunate end to this adventure. When I get home, I fall asleep for the rest of the day. I must've been really tired. I can't wait for my next ride.

Labels: