I don't know if the hype of Cloverfield turned me against it right from the start or if it's just something I don't like. I do know that it made me sick. Even forewarned and sitting two rows from the back, I got a headache watching it. I wasn't nauseous but maybe should've been. The shaky-cam effect meant to put us there but also made me sick.

The movie is a purported tape from some guys camera documenting his going away party and the monster attack on New York City. It's a home video and like your typical home video, you want to forward to the good parts. The establishing scenes at the party and at the dude's apartment I wish I could've fast forwarded through. Then when the monster attack was unleashed, I wish I could've fast forwarded through them as well.

The monster was the big secret in selling the movie. What was it? What does it look like? Under my headache when it showed up, I was underwhelmed. At first it was Cthulu. Then it was Dr. Zoidberg. Finally, in all it's glory in the money shot of the movie, it was those landstriders from The Dark Crystal. Admittedly, I was nursing my headache so I might be wrong in my descriptions.

Anyway, all through Cloverfield I found it similar to the Korean monster film, The Host. I wasn't fond of that film as well.

I think that when they do Cloverfield 2, it should be from the perspective of the army. And it should be a conventional film. That way we can find out what happened in the end. Also, I predict that a film will show up on youtube splicing some random dudes into the action. It would look just as real and perhaps be an even better story.

2 of 5 stars.

Labels: ,