When does a book become worth it?

I have a nightstand full of books that I have started and never finished. Most of these I've made it to page 10 and just given up. Sometimes I'm even half way finished when the urge to stop reading hits and I stop reading never to return to the book again.

Yet, sometimes I read a book and it goes slow. I'll slog through a few more pages expecting it to become another of those books on my nightstand, but within a few more pages, it becomes good. I find myself having a hard time putting it down. It becomes a book too good to pass up. Why does this happen?

My favorite book, The Silmarillion, by J.R.R Tolkien was one of those books that took me awhile to like. Started it twice before I finished it. It is surprising.

So, when does a become become worth it?

Labels: ,