Let's try out a blog writing exercise!

On Mondays, I hope to write a little bit about music. Whether I've been listening to it, humming it, or playing it on my guitar, any and all thoughts had about music I'll try to write up on Monday morning. Why Monday? Because as I drive to work, the only thoughts I have besides trying to avoid thinking about the long day at work is to the music I am listening to on the drive. It only hit me this morning as I trudged off to work.

The thought that brought along this blog writing exercise is that The Grateful Dead is the whitest band ever.

Currently, in my Jetta, I've got The Dead's Live double album, Dead Set. From the album cover, it looks as if it's from a show in Madison Square Garden, NYC sometime in the 70s. I just wanted to hear some Dead tunes and this is the only CD I've got. As a live set, there is barely any bass to be heard, and there is barely any bass to this band. Not that it's missing low end, but they don't have any funk going on, or at least some of that deep booty bass funk that should rock the body. It's funny too because I think this version of The Dead was rocking the two drummer rhythm section.

As evidence to their white, I'll point out that they do a rendition of Willie Dixon's "Little Red Rooster" and while it's performed in a minor blues key, it's barely bluesy. I've heard The Doors cover and also the Stones' cover of the same song and there is some menace to their renditions, some growl. For The Dead, nada. It's pretty white. It's a white guy's cover of a black man's tune.

Is The Grateful Dead really the whitest band ever?

Labels: