How much you like This Is the End will depend on how much you like the actors 'acting' in the film. They play themselves so if you have any problems with Jonah Hill, Jay Baruchel, Seth Rogen, Danny McBride, or James Franco, they may change how you perceive the film. Me? I sort of like them, so the movie wasn't bad at all. Yet, I always find that they produce halfly funny movies. So this movie was just slightly funny to me. From the crazy red band trailers and the premise, I expected to fall out of my chair. I didn't, but I think it was because of my bias.

I wanted a "Something About Mary" laugh riot. I got a "40 Year Old Virgin" laugh melee. My expectations were too high? Perhaps. But did you see those red band trailers?

I think you shouldn't miss this movie though you can wait for it to repeat on Comedy Central in 16 months. But in the meantime you'll be missing some funny stuff. You'll miss Michael Cera stealing every scene he was in. You'll miss Emma Watson being brave. You'll miss James Franco full of it. You'll miss Danny McBride being the asshole you always thought he was. You'll miss demon dicks and tons of homoerotic bro-dom going down.

If you can wait, wait, but if you can't I think it is worth the Sunday matinee price.

3 of 5 stars.

Labels: ,