I should be writing this review of The Conjuring in bright daylight, but a rainshower has just rolled through darkening the evening sky. Hopefully, it doesn't put shadows in places where I dare not look.

The Conjuring was about one of the scariest cases of the paranormal investigators, Ed and Lorraine Warren. They were the investigators responsible for the Amityville case. At the start, they are investigating a haunted doll. That doll is the most frighteningly evil doll you will ever see. I hate dolls.

The Warrens eventually are asked to investigate a haunting at the Perron house built on the plantation of a former Salem farmer. Yeah, it's not an Indian burial ground, but it is the cause of the evil.

The Conjuring then mixes up several better scary movies. There's the Poltergeist style investigation when the Warrens set up camp in the house awaiting the paranormal activities to commence. There's The Exorcist style exorcism to exorcise the evil from the house.
You would think the movie is derivative. It's not. It mixes these other films in the best way for a different effect.

Supposedly, The Conjuring was rated R because of it being to scary. I wasn't scared enough, and that is saying something. I squirm when watching scary movies. I did squirm during this one, but later at night I didn't get scared of the dark. And by the next day, wasn't scared of anything at all. Does this make it terrible because it failed to make me scared? No. I still loved getting creeped out. I still loved the setting and the pacing. The ghost was okay (The Woman In Black still creeps me out to this day), but overall it did its job.

4 of 5 stars.

Labels: , , ,