Elysium is a better action movie than an allegory for the haves and the have nots. The action is as good as the director's previous film, District 9. The robots look real. Elysium, floating like a jewel in the sky, looks real. The space ships and tech looks real. The issue of healthcare for the poor people of Earth not so real.

Look I get it. Elysium is the 1% who can afford to live high above the rabble. What I don't get is why the companies only service them. Those tanning medi-pods would pay for themselves if you allowed the masses to use it. Why does capitalism stop? Why does it only work for those in Elysium? It don't make any sense. It seems as if the filmmaker wanted to use the situation as a plot contrivance. It's ridiculous.

But I believe the action makes it better. Give me shiny explosions and mecha and I'll be happy. As long as I don't have to think about the plot. That's what summer movies are for.

3 of 5 stars.

Labels: ,