Chili alpha version

So I had chili for lunch. Was it any good? Yes, it's edible, but it's not great chili by any means. It's good and I like it, but there's somethings missing.

First off, I realized that the tomato paste I used was the one with Italian seasoning. So it almost (almost) tastes like spaghetti meat sauce. Almost because of the spices. Except that there may not have been enough spices to give it that true chili flavor.

Cooking it in a slow cooker was no different than on a stove. I wanted to leave it over night but the slow cooker boiled it even on low. I woke up at 5 in the morning to see that the chili was reduced down. Maybe I should've thrown in the can of diced tomatoes. They may have put more liquid in the pot and the boiling would not have been reduced as much.

Back to the flavor. It doesn't have the bite of chili that I favor. It's not that it's missing salt. It's just that the heat isn't there when eating it. The green chiles I added and the roasted jalapeƱo was not enough. There's some heat (my head sweated) just not enough off it.

One thing about this chile it tasted well with tortilla chips. This one is good on nachos or even hot dogs.

If I had to tinker, I would put more liquid and hotter chiles to get more kick.

Labels: