August: Osage County is not a movie I would go see, but my mom wanted to catch it. It's a film adapted from a stage play. It too got an Oscar nod for its actresses namely, Meryl Streep and Julia Roberts. I'm not one to judge acting, but I thought that Streep was overboard. I think she got the nod, because she's Meryl Streep. There's got to have been more subtle acting to have gotten the nod. I think it would be better.

Anyway, the film is about Streep as matriarch of a family looking to escape from each other. She's got cancer. Her husband gets her help then goes and drowns. The family, all daughters, gets together to bury him. The gloves come off. They bicker -- mother-daughter, sister-sister.

It's a story about family history. You leave, you love, you come back. You know it all hurts. Especially, if your mother is as demanding as Streep was. Or as big a drug addict.

It's an interesting film for a Saturday afternoon. It's not something I want to catch again. It was adequate.

3 of 5 stars.

Labels: ,