I distinctly remember saying that I was worried that my chilli was going to be too thick when asked why I bought tomato sauce instead of paste. The last time I had made chilli, it was pretty thick, and I was worried that it wasn't going to be runny enough. Boy did I have it wrong.

I used a can of beer as the liquid base, but there were also plenty of tomato-y liquid going in as well. Along with the tomato sauce, I added the liquid from the canned whole tomatoes and another cup of water as well.

It simmered all night long. In the morning, I took one look at it and realized I had soup instead of chilli. I quickly went about thickening it up by adding corn starch, but that's not doing it any good.

Lesson learned. Forget about the water. Use tomato paste rather than tomato sauce. Thicken it with corn starch if necessary.

Anyhow, here's what went in the slow cooker last night to make chilli soup:
3/4 lbs. ground beef browned
2 andouille sausages browned as well
2 jalapeƱos diced
2 cans green chilis
1 can whole stewed tomatoes
1 can tomato sauce
1 yellow onion diced
1/3 cup of white beans

For seasoning: cumin, paprika, mexican chili powder, texas chili powder, black pepper, salt, pinch of cinammon

Liquid: can of beer, a cup of water, and a dash of patis.

Throw in a slow cooker, and next thing you know you'll have chilli soup. Next time replace the can of tomato sauce with tomato paste and forget the cup of water

Labels: ,