Last week, I downloaded the soundtrack to 20th Century Women. It is a mix of big band, punk, New Wave, and a film score. The punk/New Wave stuff occurred in the late 70s/early 80s just as I was a kid. The film's sound track made me remember my youth.

20th Century Woman is about a young precocious kid who lives with his carefree mom and her tenants in Santa Barbara of the late 70s. The kid lives his life amongst three women: his mom, a slightly older neighbor girl, and one the punky tenants who has survived ovarian cancer. His mom is in her forties but grew up during the war period. His neighbor is a flibbertigibbet, sleeps around, but always ends up sleeping in the kids bed. The punky tenant is living a life she wants to live. That's how he becomes such a punk himself. The film is autobiographical take on the director's life.

I really liked this film. I would've given this 5 stars, but I can't because that rating is for films that are truly awesome. This one isn't that awesome, but I do think it is one of the best films I've seen in several years. Assume that it has a 3/4 stars extra.

4 of 5 stars.

Labels: ,