I have some of the Sun Noodle ramen noodles in my freezer again. I also have some beef bone marrow and trotters in there as well. They are going to be aged really well so I better use them before they truly expire. Like how long do I have for these things? Months? Years? Some have been there that long so, like I said, I better get to using them.

I was thinking about making some tonkatsu ramen. Slow cooker using my Instant Pot? Okay. Perhaps I should use it as the pressure cooker that it was meant to be? Maybe. We'll see.

On a sheet pan go the trotters and the beef bone marrow bones. This goes into a pre-heated 425F oven for 15 minutes just to give them color. No idea why.

As those roast, I chop up one onion, a handful of green onions, dried shiitake mushrooms, and two carrots. They go into the pot along with some ginger, some garlic, bay leaves, and peppercorns. Then the meat. Fill with water and set slow cooker to go over night.

Of course, this isn't turning the broth into the classic creamy tonakatsu because 1) not enough trotters and pig fat 2) not boiling and 3) the mushrooms turn it dark. I think I was making that but then I really wasn't. It's just another soup base.

Hopefully, this broth is good. I'm looking to make my own homemade ramen in a cup for workday lunch. Let's see how it goes.

Labels: ,