One of the first movies I bought off of iTunes was an Oscar nominée for short live action film of 2006, Cashback. While it didn't win the Oscar, it became fixture on my iPhone for the simple fact that for a long time it was the only movie I had. Not until I figured out how to rip anime torrents did I have something else to watch.

I've watched the short film many times, and when I got Netflix I noticed that there was a full length feature similarly titled. How could I not notice. That damn one sheet with the topless girl on it kept popping up as a Netflix recommendation. I wasn't so sure that it was the same movie, but I eventually added it to my queue. After several months it has finally popped to the front.

Cashback, the feature, expands on the story from the short. Ben Willis is working the night shift at the local grocery. He's working his way through art college. It gives him the opportunity to stop time and draw the lady patrons naked. But it wasn't all that. The back story included his breakup with his girlfriend, causing him insomnia, forcing him to take the night job to keep from being up all night, and falling in love with his co-worker.

Yup. It was a love story.

It was also a story about the work place. His supermarket was filled with the standard characters -- an extreme stunt biker, the biker's obnoxious hanger on, and the manager a la Michael Scott except into football. While he doesn't hate his work or co-workers his passion for art makes him an outsider. He's got ambition and while he gets over his breakup, he'll make some money at work.

That's about it. I really don't have much to say except for boobies. Yeah, it wasn't so bad as a film, but it really didn't go beyond the short. I think that it could've been better if it focused more on his time stopping power. But it did have a wonderful moment: after being caught kissing his ex by his co-worker, whom he likes, he spends days in stop motion time trying to figure out how to win her back. All he knows is that he has to get her back, because he loves her. He shows it in an art show which I found somewhat creepy, but I don't know - do girls dig that? Well, at least it had that moment in the movie.

One last note, did Trainspotting influence every British movie or what?

3 of 5 stars.

Labels: , ,